The Over the Hill Gang Volkssport Club
Minutes of the February 28, 2018 meeting
Round Table Pizza, 34410 – 15th Ave Ct., Federal Way, WA, 12:45 p.m.
Call to Order Meeting was called to order at 12:50 p.m. by club president, Diane Wagner. Ten members were present.
- Information from AVA regarding the BIG GIVE in March, 2018.
- Invitation from the City of DuPont to host a walk on 6-2-2018.
- Thank you from the Puyallup Food Bank for our donation.
Treasurer’s Report The checkbook balance was reported.
Minutes from the January 24, 2018 meeting Motion was made, seconded and passed to accept the minutes as submitted by the secretary.
Year round/seasonal events (number of participants year-to-date)
Auburn – 18
DuPont – City/Town – 27
Boyhood Memories/Sequalitchew Creek – 14
Federal Way – 12
Juneau – opens May 1
Kent – Green River Trail – 4
Town Walk – 24
Lake Fenwick – opens April 1
Ketchikan – opens May 1
Maple Valley – 31
Membership – 24
Sickness/Sympathy – A card was sent to Joan Grieser.
AVA We have received correspondence regarding the upcoming BIG GIVE. Clubs are encouraged to donate. All received funds will go into the General Fund at AVA. We are unable to designate where our donations will be used.
- The February issue continued to request for donations to the BIG GIVE, March 15-22.
- The next AVA convention will be in Albany, NY, June 9-16, 2019.
- The AVA challenges for 2019 are Carousels Across America and Little Free Library. The Little Free Libraries must be registered (look for plaque on side of box). There are several to be found in the area.
- The second part of 401K will begin in June.
- Since Volkssporting has its own language, there was a definition for the various types of walks available.
- A request for photos was made. Hopefully some of the wonderful pictures on Facebook from walkers who have posted from events walked can be submitted to AVA.
- A list of AVA personnel was provided.
- There will no longer be an additional fee for not sanctioning an AVA event effective immediately. The AVA fee is $50.
The ESVA would like input from member clubs on making a donation of $500 to the BIG GIVE. After discussion the motion was made that the Over the Hill Gang Volkssport Club will allow the ESVA to make a $500 donation to the BIG GIVE. The motion was seconded and passed.
Old Business The donation amount given to the Puyallup Food Bank was $385. This amount includes the club and member donations.
Break for drawing $10.00 was collected. Betty Hellers won $5 and $5 went to the club.
- The club has received a request to be part of the 50th Anniversary National Trails Day with the City of DuPont on Saturday, June 2. The City will provide a start point at City Hall and access to the restrooms inside. They have suggested routes. The trails to be utilized are Edmond Marsh trail and Sequalitchew Creek. There would be a 6k and 10k and option for the 5k Sequalitchew Creek trail. There are no permit fees, only the AVA sanction fee. The motion was made, seconded and passed after discussion to partner with the City of DuPont to provide these events.
- There was discussion concerning the club’s early meeting time at 12:45 p.m. Ideas were to leave the time at 12:45 p.m., go back to the 6:30 p.m. evening time or a combination (evening meetings from March-October and day meetings Jan. and Feb. No meeting is held in November and the December Christmas party is during the day.) It was decided to meet in March at 12:45 p.m. and revisit the discussion at that time.
- The motion was made to add the Over the Hill Gang Volkssport Club president to the clubs checking account as a second signer along with the treasurer with only one signature required. Motion was seconded and passed.
- Dorman Batson reported that the Emerald City Wanderers club is looking into celebrating the LINK’s anniversary by planning a series of walks near stations or a combination of riding the LINK, walking then taking the LINK back. They are looking for clubs interested in participating. The idea is in the planning stage now.
- Carolyn Warhol made the motion that the Over the Hill Gang Volkssport Club donate $200 to the AVA BIG GIVE. The motion was seconded and passed after discussion.
Meeting was adjourned at 1:40 p.m.
March 24 – All Weather Walkers event in Vancouver, WA
March 28 – Over the Hill Gang meeting, 12:45 p.m.
March 31 – Emerald City Wanderers event at Flaming Geyser Park
Marianne Bastin, secretary